On Thursday morning, we would be picked up at 7am from Villa 25
Hostel & Suites 10 minutes by Uber from our Airbnb. I wasn’t sure how
morning traffic would affect our commute, so we left an hour earlier. Arriving
at the pickup point, the hostel manager was annoyed when I asked if we could
sit and wait. He thought it rude that our tour operator hadn’t asked permission
to use his venue, and I said I’d pass on his message. He quickly softened his
stance, and, to mitigate the insult, I ordered an espresso. By the time our
ride arrived, said manager was leaving his shift, and I decided to drop the
issue and not mention his protest to our guide.
We’d booked today’s activities through Airbnb Experiences. Sunny and
I were the first to board the vehicle, together with an American girl of
Emirati heritage. Next to hop on was a German of Ghanian parentage. This man
showed me an Instagram account that listed street parties (blocos), giving
daily updates. Since this was a quintessential part of Rio Carnaval, it seemed
imperative that we attend one during our stay. We stopped several more times,
and in the end, we had a German and his Portuguese girlfriend/wife, a female
Chilean two-some, a pair of very young Danish men, some Italians, and I think
an Austrian. I got one or two names but haven’t remembered them. Since we had
boarded first, we were in the front row, just behind the driver Marcello. I
chatted a little with the American Emirati and the German Ghanian, though my
attention during transit was largely given to the guide, who imparted much
information, for example that the neighborhood of Ipanema is the wealthiest in
Rio and in the whole of Brazil. Of course, I checked this while writing, and
it is in fact the adjacent neighborhood of Leblon which wears the crown
of most expensive. Wealthiest by income goes to Lago Sul in the capital,
Brasilia. The neighborhood that is highest on the human development
index is Vila Cordeiro in São Paulo. I had wanted to walk
along Ipanema beach simply because of that renowned song that has replayed in
my head since childhood, “The Girl from Ipanema”, but the heat
that characterized our walk along Copacabana later in the day killed my drive.
Our guide Riccardo was inclusive and astute, for example referring to
the Chileans as Patagonians and to the Danes as Vikings. It was light-hearted
and welcoming. Of all the people on the tour, he was really the only one who
responded well when I attempted to strike up a conversation. I did try a little
at stops and during lunch to talk with our other companions, but their
responses were all monosyllabic, and they made no effort to lengthen the
exchange. Perhaps it was because I was two decades older than them. Or perhaps
they judged me for being a much older man with a much younger woman – one of
those. Whatever, I eventually quit trying. I am comfortable in my own skin. I
was NOT, on the other hand, comfortable in my long jeans and closed shoes!
Our first stop was at Christ the Redeemer. It was a nice ride
through Tijuca Forest and up Mount Corcovado. Tijuca is the
world’s largest urban rainforest. The area had been largely destroyed by
farming operations; in 1861, Emperor Pedro II ordered its restoration to preserve
Rio’s water supply. The forest is completely surrounded by the city of Rio, yet
is home to hundreds of species, including monkeys, toucans, sloths and ocelots.
In 1991, it was designated as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. There are also
waterfalls and another viewpoint named Vista Chinesa. We visited only
the statue. At the top of the mountain and the foot of Christ the Redeemer, the
crowds were impossible; I soon lost interest and sought a peripheral spot with
no view and more space between people.
The statue itself has an interesting story. The Catholic Circle of
Rio proposed it in 1920 in response to what they considered the godlessness of
society. A previous proposal in the mid-1800s was not approved and in 1889,
when the country became a republic, the separation of church and state
precluded such a monument. But the 1920s proposal turned to private funding
from Brazilian Catholics. The artistry and engineering were collaborative: Brazilian
artist Carlos Oswald, French-Polish sculptor Paul Landowski, Romanian sculptor Gheorghe
Leonida, Brazilian engineer Heitor da Silva Costa, French engineer Albert
Caquot. The structure was made of reinforced concrete with an outer layer of
soapstone. The concrete making up the base was supplied from Limhamn, Sweden.
Construction took nine years.
![]() |
| (more) |
Coming down from Corcovado Mountain, we stopped for a stroll through
the gorgeous neighborhood of Santa Teresa. One of the attractions here
is the Selarón Steps. When we came by, the crowd obscured the view
almost entirely. I was not impressed in the slightest. In hindsight, seeing an
image on Google Maps, I wish I had wandered up and taken closeup shots. The
history of this project is fascinating. Chilean-born artist Jorge Selarón began
by renovating the steps in front of his own home with tile fragments in blue,
green and yellow, the colors of the Brazilian flag. He was initially mocked by
locals, but wasn’t deterred and soon became obsessed, eventually covering the
entire set of steps with tiles, ceramics and mirrors. He funded the project
from sales of paintings (among them 25,000 portraits of the same pregnant lady)
and donations from locals and tourists. He began the project in 1990, and it
ended on January 10, 2013, when his body was found on his lovingly renovated
steps. The steps have been featured in documentaries, commercials, music videos,
and different editions of “The
Amazing Race”.
![]() |
| (more) |
Our next stop was at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Sebastian.
I’d seen the structure from Mount Corcovado and wondered what it was. It is
unlike any cathedral I’ve seen in any other location. It is the seat of the
Catholic Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro. Designed by Edgar de Oliveira da
Fonseca, it is based on Mayan pyramid architecture. The church is resplendent
with rectilinear stained-glass windows. Naturally, I went looking for the
pipes. I was not able to locate the console, but the pipes were visible. I was
astonished by the number and the size of them. It did not seem to me that they
could produce enough resonance to fill the space, and I wondered how they would
sound. I tried to find a recording online. Google AI led me to a link of a
video on TikTok. However, the video itself has a
#SaoPaolo in its description, so I cannot verify its veracity. Also from Google
AI is this quote: “Visitors frequently mention the ‘tranquil music’ and the
organ playing as a highlight that enhances the ‘mystical atmosphere’ created by
the building’s unique lighting.” I could find no more information about the instrument, not even on the cathedral's own website. Ah, well, that's what I get for having niche interests!
![]() |
| (more) |
From here we were driven just a few blocks on to Praça Marechal Floriano and shown the façade of Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro. As in Europe and Uzbekistan, where theaters are closed during the summer, this theater was similarly closed during Carnaval, and there was no show to be enjoyed during our stay. A temporary stage had been set up on the plaza – this was likely going to be (or had been) the site of one of the many blocos that take place during Carnaval. It was not in use today as we wandered by.
![]() |
| (more) |
We filed back into the van and were driven to Maracanã Stadium, officially known as Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho. I’d seen this,
too, from the feet of Christ the Redeemer. This is the beating heart of
Brazilian football. Built for the 1950 World Cup, it was at the time the world’s
largest stadium. Its capacity is 78,868; however, the record attendance stands
at 173,850 on 16 July 1950. (Ahem – sounds like a Health & Safety hazard –
ahem.)
![]() |
| (more) |
It was finally time to get lunch, and I was famished. We went to a
place where you pay for your meal by weight, or you pay a single price and eat
all you can. Sunny and I both opted for all-you-can-eat. Typing now, it took a
while to find the exact restaurant because it wasn’t named in the day’s
itinerary, nor did Google Maps Timeline catch our location. Restaurante Conde Gourmet had so many options. At one counter stood a chef, behind whom
several flavors of meat from a whole farmyard of animals were skewered and
placed over a flame. The dedicated chef shaved bite-sized chunks onto guests’
plates. Afterwards, he lathered salt onto the freshly cut strip and returned the
skewer onto the grill. This style of Brazilian barbecue is called “churrasco”. Sunny
found the meat too salty; I liked it precisely for the saltiness. Apart from
the meat, there were all kinds of vegetables, French fries, pizza, pasta/noodle
dishes, stewed meats, salads, and desserts. Drinks were extra, and I washed my
meal down with a local beer.
![]() |
| Foreground left: the German Ghanian; to his left, the two Danes |
After satiating, we headed to the final stop of this tour, Parque
Lage. This is a public park located in the Jardim Botânico neighborhood at the foot of Mount
Corcovado. It was once the residence of an industrialist, Henrique Lage and his
wife, Gabriella Besanzoni, who was Italian and a mezzo-soprano and contralto
opera singer. The mansion that was their house was largely open to the public
until May 2025, when it was shut for extensive renovations. Plage Café,
formerly located in the courtyard, closed permanently. The restored buildings
will not be opened to the public; rather they are intended to be used
exclusively by Escola de Artes Visuais. Our wander through the gardens
was pleasant, but the heat and humidity that had punished me all day put me on
a bench to escape any more cardiovascular heating.
![]() |
| (more) |
Tour over, our guides offered to bring us back to our pickup point,
but we opted to be dropped off nearby in Copacabana. I had booked that dinner
theater show between Hearst Castle tours in California. These tickets were also
digital; however, while I’d already secured my Sambadrome tickets for several
nights hence, I hadn’t yet had an email to deliver Roxy Dinner Show tickets.
The show was in a few hours! I was unsure about how their system worked, but it
seemed that bookersinternational.com rented rooms on the ground floor of Hotel
Atlântico Copacabana. Those who came to pick up paper tickets or, like me, query digital tickets had to line up outside on the sidewalk. An agent, called
a Rio Carnaval Angel, gave us wrist bands. Entrance was timed. As we entered,
we had to follow the yellow arrows to pokey rooms in the back. I sat down in
the first room and explained my trouble. I had to prove my identity, provide
the credit card I’d used, and show my reservation number. He then wrote a note
which I had to take to the second room. Here I was told that the digital
tickets had been emailed. I was astonished. Nevertheless, they allowed me to
connect to their internet. (I was connected via SIM, but not here, deep in the
catacombs of the hotel.) And there they were, emailed in the time that I’d
spent here, with the other moles, in the tunnels of a hotel on Copacabana.
Okay, enough waxing lyrical.
From here, we stopped in at an ice cream vendor and headed towards Copacabana Beach. It was still blistering in the sun, so we stopped in at a beachfront restaurant for cocktails. I had my first caipirinha, and I was sold. After cooling for a while, we took a stroll along a short section of the 4km-long promenade that fronts the beach. A vendor of T-shirts said as I passed, “I have your size: XXXXXL!” What an unexpected burn out of nowhere, and I guffawed. I mean, the unabashed audacity! Ex-fucking-squeeze me?!
![]() |
| (more) |
A couple of blocks along,
we turned right and found the Cine Roxy building where tonight’s
performance would take place. This is a converted Art Deco cinema, opened in
1938, then restored and reopened in 2024 as an immersive entertainment venue. It
is located on the corner of Rua Bolivar and Avenida Nossa Senhora de
Copacabana. We were early and waited in the foyer. We were underdressed and I
felt self-conscious among the glamorous dolls and their expensively clad beaus.
We found a row of chairs where we could hide from the crowds and wait for the
doors to open.
When they did, the cavernous hall of the theater became visible. On
the main floor where rows of seats used to be, 70 tables stood ready to accommodate
580 dinner guests. The mezzanine level above offered an additional 120 seats.
The venue’s original 280-square-foot Art Deco dome had been preserved, while
the cinema screen had been replaced by a 400 sq m. stage backed by a 210 sq m. concave
4K LED panel. We were shown to our seats and offered drinks, which were,
naturally, not included in the ticket price. Then we placed our orders.
Sunny and I were seated side by side at a table for eight. Four
American ladies, well-dressed and coifed, sat at the two seats beside me and
the two across from those. Two Hungarian gentlemen were seated across from
Sunny and me. I had stop-start exchanges with the one who could speak English. Meals
started arriving, accompanied by unintrusive live jazz. My starter involved
tuna, goat cheese and pesto. This preceded fillet mignon, served with potato
mille feuille and gravy. The meal was wrapped up with a large meringue, filled
with coconut cream, and dressed with fruit pieces and fruit jus. It was all
quite scrumptious, and the service impeccable.
![]() |
| (more) |
The real show started during desserts. This was considerably livelier
and more interesting. It was presented as a sort of cultural tour of the
country. A map of a certain region appeared on the LED panel. Then dancers in
folk fashions demonstrated dances from that region and in other ways portrayed
the day-to-day lives of the people. Then a new map highlighted a new region,
and so the show continued. It was very high energy. I can’t imagine myself
choosing such a show regularly, but in this setting, in a country I had not yet
visited, it was enthralling. This is from their website:
From samba to
forró, from Parintins to southern traditions, from bossa nova to carnival, from
capoeira to street art – it’s Brazil pulsing on stage like never before. In
“Aquele Abraço”, the audience is an essential part of the show, like the number
one member of this journey. So when you take your seat at the Roxy, feel like
you are on stage: sing, dance, participate, get emotional, let joy carry you
from beginning to end. Enjoy the ride!
The evening’s entertainment had started around 7:30pm and we exited
the theater at around 11:00pm. Sunny found a clothing store, Citycol
Copacabana 2, across the avenue and a few steps away from the intersection
where I bought cheap shorts to get relief from the unbearable heat and
humidity. Back at the corner and diagonally across from Cine Roxy was a
supermarket, Zona Sul Supermercado Copacabana, where we bought water and
extra supplies. Then we hopped in an Uber and were relieved to be heading in
the direction of bed.
And that was the second day.


















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.