Waking after a good night’s sleep, I had a few hours before I needed
to leave. I readied slowly, which included taking a shower in the narrowest of
shower cubicles on Planet Earth. My elbow pulled the soap/shampoo dispenser off
the wall and the glass container shattered on the shower floor. I was able to
carefully avoid stepping onto any of it, cleaned it up, and asked at check-out
how much I should pay. It was decided that I needn’t pay. That was unexpected
and welcome proof that their hospitality is genuine and guest focused.
I got an Uber to Powell BART station and headed to the
airport. It seemed to me that few people use BART. Occupancy today was as scattered
as it had been when I traveled in the opposite direction three days ago.
My car was booked with Herzt. Two days before Erin arrived, while
still at the Mosser Hotel, I got it in my head that I should update my expected
pick-up time. Erin would arrive several hours after my car was booked as I’d
booked it before she expressed her interest in the road trip. I was concerned
they would give my car to the next customer. Then they upped the quote. What
had been a quote of $373.69 suddenly turned to $1050. I called the service number
on my booking. It was suggested I reschedule to the original time. The quote
did not drop. I was livid. Now, on Wednesday, I traveled to the airport well
before Erin’s arrival. I wanted to get to Hertz, plead my case. The supervisor explained
that Super Bowl LX was taking place and that cars were in high demand. Nevertheless,
she got on the phone, but not before she disappeared into offices I could not
see. I waited. When she returned, she informed me that she’d been able to
secure my original quote. All I had to do was call for her when I returned to
pick up the car after I’d picked up Erin. Fortunately, I’d let Erin know about
the quote and the neglected driver’s license, and she’d booked an in-case car
with Avis. Returning to Hertz, when it came to handing over my license, they
would have none of it. This was, thank goodness, before I called for the
supervisor who’d worked so hard on my behalf. At Avis, of course, they wouldn’t
add me as a driver because I didn’t have my home-country license.
I was truly annoyed at myself for my stupid oversight. It now forced
Erin to drive all the way. This must have been so tiring! Still, I didn’t want
to be that foreigner who found himself on the wrong side of ICE and the
Trump White House. I realize that I’m speaking in superlatives at the moment,
but for some people, these are not superlatives. I later checked online what
the repercussions might be. It’s a California Vehicle Code 12500(a)
misdemeanor, potentially resulting in a vehicle tow, court appearance, six
months in jail, and fines up to US$1,000.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.